If you had a year to yourself, with no obligations and unlimited money, what would you do? If you're like most people, you'd go off and see the world. I'm the same way, but I believe that travel should not be relegated to hypothetical situations—I myself specialize in traveling on a shoestring.
Popping ears, awkward situations, biting fear, boredom, aha moments, snoring hostel roommates, museums, graffiti, long plane rides... I love everything about travel (though I don't always appreciate it in the moment).
When I go abroad, I tend to journal extensively. And draw. And take photos.
Read about my travels!
- Spain – I earned my MA while living in Madrid, and I decided to chronicle my time as a Spaniard in short, free-verse poems.
- Poland – I studied abroad for a semester at the University of Warsaw, blogging all the way.
- South America – The summer after my sophomore year, my friend Diego and I took a two-month trip around South America. I wrote up an eight-part account of our journey, published as Facebook notes. Read Tales from the Other America here:
- Mexico City – I studied abroad for a summer at the Mexico City campus of Tec de Monterrey and wrote a series of short essays on my experience.
- Europe – When I graduated from high school, I sold my car and went off alone to Europe for a month on a sort of art history pilgrimage. I kept a journal on my first time away from home.